Thursday 14 May 2009

Training Updates (blackout!)

The past 4 days training have been o.k, nothing too intense. I done mostly dry static work which has gone well, timing when contractions start. I put in another additional hold which brought the contraction start start time to 4min 15sec. This is good as the first 10 contractions i take, take 1min to go through so by the time this has happened I'm at 5min 15sec already. Still really confident of over 6mins at the competition.

Pool training went well last night, i done a 5min 30sec with all the life guards and instructors in the pool right next to me practicing with the spinal board. This was great as it acted as a realistic distraction. It was hard to visualise my mental routine as they were all talking and splashing about. I also stopped training in between breath up's to talk to the centers operations manager to arrange some extra training over the next fortnight.

Contractions started at 4min 15secs but couldn't get my head around them this time.

Dynamic went really well, no warm up's, no stretching and a very easy 125mtr swim. I planned in my head that when i got to the 125mtr mark would i be able to turn and go for 150mtr? I was happy to find it within me to do this. I'm sure i will hit the 150mtr mark next week!

Training today went o.k, i really pushed my bike ride. I'll post the stats when i find my trip computer (my daughter put it somewhere safe?)

I then went in Co2 tables but pushed hard at the end of them, only taking one exhale before kicking into another 2min hold. I then went into packing stretches which i do standing up. The first stretch i cut short as i started shaking (hypoxia) i took a quick 20sec recovery and then tried again and woke up on the floor with a really sore head....i had blacked out!

Felt like i had a dream about blacking out (if that makes any sense?) and i was still shaking when i come too. This signified to me that i had defiantly B.O'd.

2 comments:

Eric van Riet Paap said...

Hi Chris,

Pitty about the packing blackout. Did you drink enough beforehand?

I read something in this text that worries me a little. You write "I'm sure i will hit the 150mtr mark next week!", so what you are really saying is that you tell yourself that you will do at least that and that you expect nothing less. IMHO this is fine as long as you use this way of thinking until your official top. When the dive starts I think it is much better to let this expectation drift away. It will only make you more tense and more prone to a blackout because you will ignore what your body is telling you. You have very little competition experience - just swim and see where that gets you. You trained hard enough but it's hard to extrapolate that to competition performances. You might do less, you might do more...

Chris Holmes said...

Cheers Eric, i have announched a 110mtr dynamic at the comp which i'm very confident of doing but i'm just pushing my training as hard as i can. The expectation at the comp will be just to learn and gain some experience nothing more. Had plenty of water in the day before training but i think i pushed too hard on my bike ride, fastest time and average speed yet. At least i now know where my breaking point is..lol. I take your points on board as always you are a great help.