Monday 24 November 2008

Spiro-Meter Test

I finally went to see my Doctor today and had my first spiro-meter test, i have seen many freedivers talking about their lung capacity and being a smoker i decided to have a go myself and see what it was all about. A spiro-meter for those who don't know measures the following...


  • FEV1 - Forced Expiratory Volume in one second. This is the amount of air you can blow out within one second. With normal lungs and airways you can normally blow out most of the air from your lungs within one second.
  • FVC - Forced Vital Capacity. The total amount of air that you blow out in one breath.
  • FEV1 divided by FVC (FEV1/FVC). Of the total amount of air that you can blow out in one breath, this is the proportion that you can blow out in one second.

My results were as follows........

  1. FEV1 4.83ltrs (128%)
  2. FVC 6.73ltrs (149%)
  3. FEV1/FVC 72 (base) 92 (max)
  4. Lung Age Less than <20yrs

I didn't realise that i was not to eat before or smoke, i had a large dinner and a cigarette before the test!! Oh!! I have booked in another test in 3mths time to compare the results after changing training routines. I have started to use tables (dry) and going into negative diaphragm exercises this week which should help me deal with contractions much better going forward into next year.

No comments: