Thursday 3 July 2008

Training this week

I've been trying new training methods this week, well new to me. I went to my first Yoga class! I'd heard that so many other freedivers had obtained instructor level in this so i decided to give it a go myself. I enjoyed the class and the instructor said i did well, the class was mainly about stretching which i found to be a great help, next week we are doing breathing techniques and relaxation.

There is something definitely in Yoga that freedivers can benefit from and i will be going again to learn more.

I have also started running, not easy for me as I've never been a natural runner even after all those miles covered when i served in the armed forces. I started weight training two years ago as i wanted to pile on a few stone (mainly due to my work as a doorman) this is now slowly disappearing as I'm now learning that stretched muscles that are flexible use less O2 which is great for freediving. I went on my first run tonight (new trainers) and tried holding my breath in between lampposts, i could just about manage 6sec breath holds at a time whilst running. I did this for 10mins in total and came back knackered!!!

I still train using weights but as of next week it will be light lifts with high repetitions.

Freediving changes everything!

1 comment:

Ben Noble said...

Welcome to the brotherhood Chris! Don't expect to think like other people anymore, you'll think about freediving every second of the day. Every trip to the gym will be about freediving rather than anything else you've trained at before. Your friends will think you're a weirdo, your wife be pissed off that you spend all your time on strange breath holding websites, but it doesn't matter anymore, cause you're one of us ;-)