Thursday 3 July 2008

How it started

About two weeks ago i finally logged myself onto http://deeperblue.net/ after completing my AIDA freediver course last year with Emma Farrell. Naturally i passed and have been training ever since. I got the freediving bug many years ago when i first watched the film "The Big Blue" and was memorised by what i saw. It wasn't until i left the armed forces (SW Diver) and meet my wife that i realised that i could actually go and learn how to become a freediver. It was whilst being stuck at home, very ill, i saw courses in freediving! I booked up straight away. Life changed!

The course was fantasic and i didn't realise how much involved the sport was nor how widespread it was until now. I feel i have really missed out in some way as i wished i had known earlier in my life. I've made plenty of friends on the deeperblue forums, a place where meir mortals like me can talk directly to world champions and gain their wisdom in an open and honest way.

I mainly train in two disciplines, Dynamic and Static.
Dynamic is where the freediver tries to cover as much distance as possible with just one breath of air with or without the use of a monfin pictured in one of the above is my custom made carbon fibre fin. Static is where the freediver remains motionless in the water for time, this is a hard mind game and takes lots of training.

I completed a new Dynamic PB last night in the pool in which i train of 100mtrs and i am now consistently posting static times of 4mins 40secs. I would love to compete next year in the British Pool Championships to gain experience of doing this under competition rules and regs.




No comments: