Monday 5 March 2012

One Week & Counting...

Over the past week I've slowed on the tables and increased the diet strictness. Friday pool session was a bit of a disaster. Static session didn't go too well and i was still struggling at 4mins! I targeted myself a 125mtr + a turn in dynamic and ended up finishing at 50mtrs, my mind wasn't in it and I'd made the fatal error of targeting myself with a distance. Straight after i did a very easy 100mtrs and left the pool session behind me. Saturday was a better day, i went to SaltFree was some fun in the green. The water temp was 6 degrees and it was my first bit of depth training in a long while. I stayed on the 25mtr line and made some descents to the plate okay. Equalising was okay but the coldness causes some stress on the body and the dives were uncomfortable. It was great to catch up with the gang and meet some new faces also.

Static session tonight went much better.
Hold 1 - 2min 25sec no breath up
Hold 2 - 2min 40sec no breath up
Hold 3 - 3min 2/4/2 breath up for one minute
Hold 4 - 3min 35sec 10 deep slow breaths
Hold 5 - 5min 10 slow breaths

Finally i got to 5mins, its been a while and felt fine, nice and clean at the end and only 25 contractions. This has given me a bit of a lift, I've only got another day at work and then a few days off before the comp.

3 comments:

fabikp said...

Hello Chris, very interesting and inspiring posts, thanks ! Can you explain 2/4/2 breath up and what exactly is FRV ? Is it the same as FRC ? Thanks for answer. Pavel
pavel.faba@seznam.cz

Chris Holmes said...

Thanks my friend, 2/4/2 breath up is not good i'm afraid it a bad habit and one i'm trying to break! Its pretty much hyperventalation!! Breath in for 2secs hold for 4secs and breath out for 2secs. It's not so bad to do two or three of them before a static to purge a little but pretty much the same as a few large purge breaths before hand.

FRC/FRV are pretty much the same forced residual capacity or voloume makes not difference really.

Have you just started freediving? Done a course yet?

fabikp said...

Thanks, I see, FRV and FRC is the same but it is often used for " FREE residual capacity" not "Forced" and then it makes a difference. Free is only passive exhale, forced exhale empties your lungs completely (exc. res. volume) and than the hold is harder. I have started freediving several years ago, but I train dry mostly and not very intensivly (PB stat.5'30"). Yes I have passed a course. Pavel